Having high nutritional value and being powerful cleansers and producers of blood, beets are members of the same family as spinach and chard.
Having the ‘amethyst’ color, the phytochemical in beets, betacyanin, reduces the homocysteine levels.
Beets are very rich in iron which is a great mineral for the production of blood. Aside from iron, beets are also rich in calcium, magnesium, sodium, phosphorus, and copper. It is also loaded with vitamins, such as vitamin A, C, B1, B2, and B6, as well as choline, folate, iodine, manganese, organic sodium, potassium, fiber, and carbohydrates in natural digestible sugars form.
These are just some of the health benefits that beet juice mixed with other ingredients can bring to you:
– By mixing it with carrot juice, it has great properties for cleansing and treating gallbladder and kidney ailments.
– For gastric ulcers, drink beet juice with honey three times a week on an empty stomach.
– Liver toxicity and bile ailments, such as hepatitis, food poisoning, diarrhea, jaundice or vomiting can be fought by beet juice.
– Calcium deposits can lead to hardening of the arteries and beet juice is a potent solvent to dissolve it.
– Due to alcohol abuse, the liver is exposed to a lot of damage. The chlorine that the beets contain can detoxify the liver and ease the damage from the alcohol.
– Because the beets are highly alkaline, they can treat acidosis.
– The iron can help with red blood cells regeneration and reactivation and help supply the body with fresh oxygen, while the copper can make the iron more available.
– It can normalize blood pressure.
– Colon and stomach cancer can be prevented by the betaine in the beet, which has powerful anti-cancer properties.
– Beets have a great cleansing capability which can fight inflammation that can relieve gout.
– The cellulose that it contains can ease bowel movements that can treat chronic constipation.
– To treat dandruff, mix a cup of beet juice with a bit of vinegar and massage the scalp.
– It’s great to ingest before any sports activity because beet juice can energize the body as well as increase the stamina.
– Drinking beet juice prevents varicose veins and also increases the elasticity of arteries.
When you are purchasing beetroots, they must be firm and unwrinkled. When you remove the greens, the beetroot can last for a few weeks in the refrigerator. The flat-bottomed beetroots are less sweet than the ones with a round bottom. Heat can destroy their nutrients, so make sure you don’t overheat them.
If you are juicing the beetroot, add one-quarter of an unpeeled lemon to a medium-sized beetroot to improve the taste and enhance the nutrients absorption. Gradually increasing the consumption of beets is the best way because they can be very potent and lead to dizziness because of its detoxification.
Beets can be eaten in different ways, such as drinking them, eating them raw, cooked, or roasted. When the beets are eaten raw, they retain the nutrients they contain and are crunchy and mildly sweet-tasting, as opposed to when they are cooked as they become softer and slightly sweeter. Roasting them caramelizes the natural sugars and gives the roots a sweeter flavor. Whenever you cook beets, make sure they are cooked lightly to prevent oxidation because by overheating and overcooking them, they lose some of their nutrient value. Best way to cook them is to steam them for about 20 minutes or less or roast them for less than an hour. Make sure you opt for fresh beets as opposed to canned or pickled.